Saturday, February 6, 2010

Module 5-Concept Map


As I reflect upon my teaching I have to say that I am mainly on the static side of how I integrate technology into my classroom with an occasional activity going dynamic. I think it has a lot to do with the safety and permissions that go along with having 2nd graders use dynamic collaborations in the classroom that keep me from using it as a classroom tool.

On a personal level I feel that I am in the middle of the continuum. Simply being enrolled in this course of study has made me step outside my comfort zone of those tools on the static level and force me to use those on the dynamic level. I have definitely felt challenged, frustrated, and overwhelmed at times however when the "ah-ha" moment hits when I see the connection or decide how to use it for my students I feel confident that I can.

I am hoping that as I continue on with my Ed.S program that I will continue to have those feelings. I would hope that my "ah-ha"moments increase and my passion for the new tools I learn I can pass along in my classroom and to colleagues.



After reviewing the concept maps posted these stood out to me. The overall design and different views of the tools to categorize gave me additional reasons to think about the placements they decided and rethink others that I had placed.

Kianna's blog-http://kobysmomsblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/static-vs-dynamic-technologies.html

KCDavis' Blog-http://educationaljourney1908.blogspot.com/2010/02/module-5-technology-and-media-distance.html

5 comments:

  1. Dynamic technology would be more difficult to use with younger learners, but I think that we just have to get out of the way and give it to them to see what they do. I know that that would be really hard, and I can see where I would probably fall on my face as a teacher on the first go round, but as the kids got used to blogging or simulating I think it could help them. But the key is I do see it being a NIGHTMARE at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a blog for my advanced students perhaps for a novel study. It might be something I entertain for next year. There are just SO many legal issues involved that I fear that it may be too complicated. Actually having the blog and facilitating the learning that my students could do would be an awesome activity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of legal issues are you concerned with. Couldn't you set the kids up a blog account and keep it private where only invitees can see it. Then just give them a number for their account id and no one would know but you who is posting what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went in and checked my settings on Blogger. You can set up blogs so that web searches won't crawl your blog and report it. If you set your students up like this then the only way to find the blog is to know exactly what blog your looking for. If you give them all accounts like this and then follow each of their blogs with an RSS feed no one should be able to find the info unless the kids email out a link to their blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for checking into that. My district will not allow students to have e-mail accounts at this time. Being that I deal with younger children I can see there hesitation. I couldn't even get permission to have a webcam for e-pals this year.

    ReplyDelete